- THE JURY HAS SPOKEN
- The Canadian director, who in 2012 won the best new director in Sitges with ‘Antiviral’, wins the award for best film and best director of the 53rd editionThe jury’s special award goes to ‘La nuée’ by Just Philippot, which also wins the award for best female performance for Suliane Brahim, while Grégoire Ludig & David Marsais share the award for best male performance for ‘Mandibules’The Méliès gala pays tribute to Paco Plaza and unveils the 2020 Méliès d’Or i Méliès d’Argent awards for European genre filmsThe record of the” 53rd Sitges – International Fantastic Film Festival of Catalonia” has been widely distributed in this very special edition.
- Possessor Uncut has won the awards for the best film and best direction of the Official Fantàstic Section in competition, while La vampira de Barcelona , by Lluís Danés, has won the Grand Audience Award. Just Philippot’s debut feature,
- La nuée, has convinced the SOFC jury, which has awarded it the prize for best film. Márk Bodzsár, Juli Jakab and István Tasnádi win with Comrade Drakulich the award for best screenplay, while The Luggageby Tsai Yi-fen wins the best short film.
- The José Luis Garner Critics Award went to Teddy , and the Citizen Kane to the revelation direction for Jonathan Cuartas (My Heart Can’t Beat Unless You Tell It To) .
- For the third consecutive year, the Sitges – Festival Internacional de Cinema Fantàstic de Catalunya has organized the Méliès d’Or award ceremony at the Meliá Sitges Auditorium, just before the screening of Kandisha , directed by Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo. These awards are granted by the network of the International Federation of Méliès Festivals to the best European fantastic feature films and short films. Pelican Blood , by German director Katrin Gebbe, was the winning film in the feature film category. He had previously won the Méliès d’Argent at the Motel X – Lisbon International Horror Film Festival. In the short film category, the award went to Best Friend, directed by David Feliu, Jul iana de Lucca, Nicholas Olivieri, Varun Nair and Yi Shen. He had won the Méliès d’Argent at the Malaga Fancine.
Paco Plaza – Méliès d’Or
- The annual Méliès Career Award has been awarded to the Spanish director Paco Plaza , for his outstanding contribution to the fantastic, which has received a great ovation from the audience in the room. This year’s Méliès d’Argent awards were also unveiled at the gala, which were for Le dernier voyage by Paul WR , By Romain Quirot, for the best film and Dar-dar , by Paul Urkijo, in the section for best short film .
Press conference of Kandisha
- The Méliès d’Or and Méliès d’Argent Awards are awarded each year to the best European long and fantastic short films. These awards are a recognition of their level of quality and creativity and generate a unique visibility for the films and their directors. The awards are awarded by the International Federation of Méliès Festivals, a network of 25 film festivals in 19 different countries, with a worldwide influx of more than 800,000 visitors, which is why it is a vital economic and cultural force within the panorama of film. fantastic cinema.
- Text and photo : Press Office